So, you’ve arrived in the Okanagan – land of blue sky and sandy beaches. The lake shimmers in the valley and as soon as you see it, you start to get excited. You’re itching to get onto the water and just one question remains, where do I get boat rentals in Kelowna?
Luckily, you’ve found yourself at the right spot. Much like the thriving arts and music scene, Kelowna is practically overflowing with options to suit your needs, whatever they may be.
Non-motorcraft boat rentals in Kelowna
If it’s a little Zen time you’re seeking, renting a kayak or stand-up paddleboard (SUP) is as easy as going to the local beach. Rotary Beach, Gyro Beach, and Tugboat Bay Beach in downtown Kelowna are all serviced by Okanagan Beach Rentals. There you will find SUPs, single or tandem kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, and water trikes available from $20 – $35 per hour. The Kelowna Downtown Marina, Lakefront Sports Center and the Eldorado Marina also offer kayaks and SUPs – there are a handful of options, each located in popular lakefront areas.
Motorcraft boat rentals in Kelowna
Maybe Zen isn’t your thing. Maybe you’re looking for something a little more…well, exhilarating. Most of the boat rental companies in Kelowna offer jet skis, bowriders, wake-surf or surf boats, and pontoons.
Pontoons are perfect if you just want to cruise the lake enjoying the fantastic views, sunshine, and swimming. These are large capacity boats, perfect from groups of 10-16 people, depending on the company you rent from. Jet skis are a fast and fun way to get out on the water. They can carry 2-3 people, again, depending on the company you rent from. Wake-surf boats are exactly what the name implies, creating a wake big enough to surf on. Bowriders are for everything else – water skiing, tubing, etc. Some rental companies supply one “toy” and others charge a bit extra. Rentals can be anywhere from an hour to multi-day. In most cases, fuel and taxes are extra, so be sure to take that into account.
Boat rental companies in Kelowna
If you’d like to be the driver of the boat, here is a list of some of the boat rental companies in the Kelowna area. Click on the link to be directed to their website. Prices vary depending on the performance of the boat. From the leisurely bowriders starting at $200 per hour up to the high performance wake-surf boats at $500-$600 per hour, there are plenty of options to suit your needs.
- Kelowna Boat Rentals – $260-$650 per hour depending on boat.
- SunWave Boat Rentals – $200 – $800 per day depending on boat.
- Surf City Boat Rentals – $449 per 2 hour minimum – $1500 minimum 2 hour rentals
- Kelowna Downtown Marina – $199 per hour – $1,6000 for full day, depending on boat
- Lakefront Sports Centre – $319 per 2 hour minimum – $900 for full day
- Eldorado Marina – $369 per 2 hour minimum – $599 per 2 hour minimum
*Important to note, these companies all have different hourly rate and rental requirements. Each rental company has a variety of boats at different performance levels, which will affect price. The numbers above
A few things you should know before renting
- It’s always better to book in advance, rental availability books up fast.
- Most companies will charge a damage deposit ranging from $1000-$2500, unless you opt to include a captain.
- You must be at least 19 years old, and in some cases 21, to rent.
- A boating license is preferred but not necessary, as temporary licenses are available.
- Beware of scams! Do your research and read reviews. Unfortunately, there are always people ready to take advantage.
- Alcohol and Cannabis use are strictly prohibited. Failure to comply can result in fines, loss of your driver’s license, and even jail time. The waters are patrolled regularly, so play safe.
Clearly there is no shortage of rental options here in Kelowna. So grab your friends, pick your watercraft of choice, and enjoy the beautiful Okanagan Lake with boat rentals in Kelowna.